Directorate of Registration of Bangladesh
The system of Registration had almost been unknown to the people of Indo Bangladesh Sub-continent before the advent of British Regime. The people then used to grab Land of others by force creating and fabricated document and produced them, claiming immunity from payment of Land Revenue and consideration money. As, such it was very difficult to settle the disputes originated from those anomalies.
The Law of Registration was, therefore, introduced, with a view to preventing fraud and streamlining the collection of revenue as well as protecting the right, title and interest of the common people. The registration of documents was made optioned though it was provided that certain documents, if registered would take effect over unregistered document. The Department of Registration is an old public oriented institution, Although it is earning huge revenue in domestic resouce under deferent heads. It is contributing a lion amount of revenue in the internal source.
On 1st January 1793 by regulation No. 36 of 1793 an office of the registration of deeds was established at the Sadar station of the district. Act XXX of 1838 provided for the establishment of Sub-Registrar's offices at all Sub-districts in addition and the appointment of offices to superintend such offices, were appointed as District Registrar. Act VIII of 1871 abolished the offices of the Registrar-General and introduced the offices of the Inspector general and Assistant Inspector General as well as Act' VIII of Act also Provided for the appointment of Inspectors of registration offices.